For the past week I have been visiting my family back in West Allis. This has also led to my being a taxi for my sister upon her finishing the school day at her high school. Yesterday, she was running extremely, extremely late so it afforded me a great opportunity to observe the behavior of the students waiting for a ride and the family members waiting to pick them up.
Almost every student who stood waiting for a ride spent the majority of the time ignoring the other students and talking on a cell phone. There were a grand total of three students who did not talk on a cell phone while waiting, and one of them was with a student who did, and while they were clearly walking together and waiting together his friend and or sibling ignored him the whole time even waiving off the one question he asked brushing him away to talk on the phone more.
I heard absolutely no verbal communication as I had to wait in my car, but the nonverbal communication spoke volumes. Each student stood in their own little niche of the pavement about six to four feet apart, if anyone were to move even slightly from their designated/chosen spot the others would freeze a little and glare until the student in question returned to approximately where they were standing before. Those who had cellphones, had very closed posture and stance. For example this almost six foot tall brunet girl stood with one hand on the phone the other wrapped around her waist like she was protecting herself and her feet were pressed to the ground as if she expected to make a dash for it at any moment.
Going to the two other students who did not have cell phones: these two were clearly friends or at least desperate for conversation and talked animatedly. They made eye contact, they gestured with their arms and they stood closer, but with a railing in between them. They stayed a bout three feet apart, with a railing in between them, and when a student with a cellphone walked through their conversation it ended.
The rules for the students clearly were to guard yourself form each other: even the friends were separated by a reiling and when someone came to close to their conversation they seemed to decide that it was too risky to continue. Another rule clearly seemed to be almost everyone wanted to be left themselves as the harsh reactions to moving out of ones designated space seems to suggest. A third rule seemed to be that phone conversations took precedence over the people actually present, as evidenced by the boys walking together where one was ignored over the phone conversation.
It was clear that if someone were to break this isolation they would be reacted to very unfavorably. For example if someone were to tap any of these kids on the shoulder it would not be surprising to see that person getting punched or at the very least recoiled away from. Even the waiting family extended this attitude. No one left their vehicle to wait for their student and the only person who left when the student arrived was a parent helping to push a wheelchair into a van, and they were glared at by all around. This was not a friendly environment.
Trying to communicate in this setting would be a challenge even if you knew the rules. The rules were essentially do not communicate unless it is to someone on the other end of a phone. Asking a question, or simply arriving were met with suspicion and hostility.
If you had to communicate in a hostel environment, how wold you go about it?
What factors do you believe may have led to creating such a hostel environment?
Thursday, May 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I would like to let anyone checking the time stamps on this blog know that this computer is severely incorrect in the time that it is saying that it is. It is 9:32am and the thing says that it was posted at 6:50 am.
ReplyDeleteI would communicate politely. By that I mean I would speak in a kind and loving manner. I give the other person fair opportunity to talk as well. I think remaining calm will help a person see that you are not a threat. It's a good idea not to respond with hostility when it is given. It doesn't solve anything. Sometimes people will let down their guard when they see you are a warm, genuine person, but not always. There is not much more you can do sometimes.
ReplyDeleteI would talk kindly and have just small talk. I guess I would also smile a little bit, so that I can show others that I accept them. Asking a question that does not invade their privacy may be good becuase you can indicate that you are interested in communication with them.
ReplyDeleteI hope that this is not a realistic depiction of what after school grounds really look like. I also hope that it doesn’t reflect the social skills of the generations to come. Technology can be a wonderful thing and cell phones are a great idea to keep your child safe, but I hope that they don’t harm their relationships that they should be having. It sounds like cell phones may be the factor to blame here. Communicating in a hostile environment would be difficult. I would be as polite as possible, while communicating whatever it might be that I need to get across.
ReplyDeleteThere is no better way to solve a hostle situation by to act like whatever is wrong does not bother you. Just act as if you were friends and when the time is right, leave. This will not perminantly solve anything, but will get you out of the current situation.
ReplyDeleteCell phones are taking over and they can be a pro and a con. But if I were to be in stuck in a hostile enviroment, I would just act super nice and not let anything get to me. I would bring up a conversation that you think almost everyone would know about. I also would just be happy and go with the flow, once they see that you are not there to be rude or invade their privacy they will let you in.
ReplyDelete