Saturday, May 29, 2010

Activity Number Four

Activity number four was a very sobering experience. I do badly with names to begin with and I got so panicked with that the first go around was a disaster. I exceeded the time and when trying to see if it submitted accidentally started the second go so that did not go well, but the second time I had focus and really absorbed what the activity was showing me. I know far too few names from far too many categories.

For ethnic groups that I could think of names from in order of easiest to hardest was: white, black, asian, hispanic/latino, and then middle eastern. For white I had a name for every category except women before 1600's I could think of multiple examples from Victorian England but they didn't fit the time frame and women from mythology didn't count. I had no trouble naming the men, and in fact with the exception of naming black men and women the numbers of men that I could name were always higher. I knew a decent number of prominent figures such as our president, Martin Luther King Jr. and Maya Angelou. I knew a good range of names of Asian men, not really due to any class and more to do with my obsession of Japanese history and art. I was having no end of trouble however trying to find any examples of women who where not actors. I was completely lost when it came to naming hispanic men who were not actors or Juan Peron, and I only could think of Sonia Sotameior and Eva Peron for women. I was completely and utterly lost when it came to naming anyone of middle eastern descent, I could only think of dictators and Muhammad Ali. I could think of absolutely no women.

It is clear that "history" as it is taught in the US is the story of white men and in very, very, very recent times prominent figures who have stood out and fought for equality. Now we are starting to get to learn about prominent African American leaders, at long last, and some Hispanic leaders. However, mostly what is taught about Hipanic leaders is about dictators that the United States had conflict with, and the representation of middle easterner's is even worse. The majority of what we here is about countries and leaders who the United States currently views as a threats, the crusades and the Turkish empire. These are not generally seen as positive things in the US, never mind that in the crusades that it was the European armies that destroyed the irrigation systems that are a root of many of today's tensions. Asian ethnic groups are well represented in a world history class and if you are learning about World War Two. World War Two doesn't tend to be flattering and world history doesn't provide many specific names.

The reason that these groups are ignored is because, the group in the united states that has the most power is white males. The history of the US has been, white people came and whiped out the Native Americans, involuntarily brought over African slaves and did it's best to keep everyone else out of the country. The Alien and Sedition Acts effectively kept out almost all middle easterners, limited Asian immigration to almost nothing and kept "undesirable" Europeans to the bare minimum. It set the pattern that America has held most of its life: it says to the world you are welcome and means if you are too different stay out. This is not a message that schools really want to teach us, as we went though the civil rights movement, so that means that the country has forgotten its past and is now everything that it claims to be. In other words a really big heaping helping of denial.

Backtracking a bit to discuss gender: thought the majority of history--that has written records--the western/European world has been primarily patriarchal. These societies have at times been to the point where women did not have rights at all; starting around the time of the industrial revolution and the enlightenment this let up somewhat, and varied from country to country. Even so women were still clearly second class to their male counterparts. When women finally won suffrage it was during a time where things got a tad better; however, things were still very bad. The greatest strides came around the same time as ending segregation; remember this is within most of our parent's lifetimes, and then anti discrimination laws came into effect. Women could enter the work force more freely, oh and I almost forgot to mention World War Two, women got a very real taste of freedom when they got factory jobs which was the impetus to demand societal change. On paper things seem equal, except for pay, however; for both ethnicity and gender the American response is largely the same earnest attempts and strides, that once attitudes had changed slightly those in power tried to forget about the past wrongs as soon as possible.

What is it about the US that makes it try to deny everything that it did oppressively historically?

How does this effect the ability for real intercultural communication today?

7 comments:

  1. Maybe they do not like what had happened in the past. If they would have gone back they would have wanted to do something different. Maybe they are ashamed of what had happened in the past. Having a black president is a big step from having slaves, but slaves were a bad time in history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's because of the sensitive nature of the diversity of America. To preface my point, I'll share a story. Hugging is a common custom in America. This custom, or other forms of touch, is not popular in Asia. So when I went to hug a Chinese friend goodbye after a night on the town, I startled her and by the look in her face, probably made her uncomfortable too. (Although I had Chinese friends who loved that Americans hug and asked me if they could have one since they had never hugged before.) One thing I also learned there, is that if you do something taboo, don't bring it up, not even in an apology, unless the apology is given right at the moment of the offense. It would be extremely uncomfortable to them to re-hash the event know matter how sincere you are.

    Perhaps it's the same scenario with America hiding it's oppresive patterns in the past, but on a much more complex scale. We are a relatively young country in comparison to the countries that our ancestors migrated from where cultural traditions and norms are more set in place because of longevity. When immigrants came to America, there were many different ethnic groups working and living closely together. I can only imagine the number of times they offended each other just by living out their country's cultural norms next to someone else. Then, there were their reactions to their offenses, fears, and ultimately the survival of the fittest mode (taking away the Native American's land, slavery, etc.) to ensure one's own safety and prosperity as they saw it.

    The cultural, ethnic, racial, gender conflicts happen at a great frequency when so many groups are together with a relatively short history. Maybe people are just trying to move forward and build positive relationships between different groups that have not been there in the past instead of taking to the time to reveal, address, rebuild past wrongdoings. Maybe this is aided by the mentality of not wanting to re-hash the events.

    This also may go along with America's notion of moving forward and progress mentality mentioned in the book. However, the importance of addressing the oppressive behaviors of the past should not be underestimated.

    I also think address those behaviors is important, because sincere communication comes from a genuine, not elusive, attitude.

    I'm having a hard time putting this post together in way that is clear and concise. I hope it portrayed in the way that I am intending it to. Am I making sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the terrible grammar in the last couple paragraphs. I think I've studied too long today. My brain is fried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the US tends not to admit their oppressive actions historycally because people don't want to remember and want to move on to forward. Maybe they think that the past doesn't apply to today's world anymore. This applies to Japan, too. We historically annexed some countries in Asia, we forced Koreans to speak in Japanese and took away their own culture. Japan did oppressive things a lot, but they are reluctant to apologize clearly. Maybe that's because they want to save country's face and they don't want to admit that they did something bad. However, people who were treated oppressively, they want others apoligize so that they can move to the next. However, we need to learn from the past and try not to repeat the same mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you made very much sense and a great many good points.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it may be a natural, but not a good, behavior of countries to deny the times in history that they are not the most proud of. I don’t know why the US would rather deny such events and mistakes we made in the past. It would be better for our country and the rest of the world to admit we made mistakes along the way and along with that we could take pride in that we recognize that we were wrong, learned from it, and grew from it as well. It most likely affects the ability for intercultural communication, in that it’s hard to move on from the past, until the past has been admitted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with alot of what you guys are saying, I think some people want to deny what happened in history and they realize that there are ways we could have made it different, and the outcomes could have been better. I think we always look at the bad things and need to look at the good things more in history and more in stuff today.

    ReplyDelete